<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

SWF Seeks Apple Pie for Memorable Encounter by Karyn Zoldan


Practically all my life I have been searching for apple pie like my bubbie (grandmother) used to make.

I don’t know what made that apple pie so memorable. Both my brother and I have spent our adult lives searching for this apple pie in more modern and glorious settings to no avail. In my grandmother’s capable and experienced hands, she mixed and kneaded the dough laying it neatly in a tin pie pan cutting off the extra.

Maybe apples tasted better than today and perhaps that was the key to apple pie perfection?

Peeled and sliced apples were mixed with just the right amounts of sugar and cinnamon and just maybe a squirt of lemon juice. Since we kept kosher and the separation of meat and dairy ruled, no butter or dairy products were used in the pie’s preparation. Then another crust covered the apples and a fork was used to seal the crust as well as to prick holes in the top crust so it could breathe and steam the apples.

One day I found the recipe and it was just a list of ingredients – flour, Crisco, water, apples, sugar, and cinnamon. Typical of my grandmother and mother’s fashion, there were no amounts listed. So what was the secret?

Today I ate lunch at the B-Line on 4th Avenue in Tucson and my friend and I shared the apple pie with a teaspoonful of real whipped cream. This slice of pie heaven was the closest I’ve ever come to bubbie’s apple pie.

Some apple pies drown in cloying sweetness but the B-Line’s version lets the taste of crisp apples shine through. And the crust held its heavenly own. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being bubbie’s apple pie – this was an 8. Since most apple pie attempts have never surpassed a 5, the apple pie buck has just stopped here at B-Line.

The B-Line is located at 621 N. 4th Avenue; Tucson, (520) 882-7575.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?